bogalusa, la
Saturday, april 1st.
Hot one today. I made it to bogalusa, right on the state line with mississippi. I actually went into mississippi to take a picture of the sign, but came back to bogalusa to find a hotel room, since i didn't have enough daylight left to make it to the next town, poplarville, ms. No cell service here, either, so you'll read this tomorrow, too. This is hurricane katrina country. As i got close to bogalusa, i saw entire forrests shredded, pine trees snapped like toothpicks. In town, there are still tons of downed trees in yards and blue tarps on roofs. Hasn't it been 7 months since katrina? I feel for these people. But something tells me this town was a dump even before katrina. Did i mention there's a stench in the air that smells like sewer? And this hotel is a dump, too. I can't wait to move on.


3 Comments:
Bogalusa is where we vacationed several times. Years ago, there were cute little cabins on the river. That was where I got my first really bad sunburn. We just wouldn't get out of that river.
I think the interstate took all the traffic away from that area.
Too bad about the stinch in the air and the bad motel.
Bryan,
That odor around Bogalusa is much more likely their paper mill than anything else. You would think people could clean up their neighborhoods within seven months after a storm, but then all their able-bodied men may have spent all that time trying to earn some money down on the coast. The whole Katrina disaster is way more complicated than people realize.
Bryan,
Tha smell could be one of several things. An obvious one is road-kill. Another is a nearby paper or pulp mill. The third one that occurred to me is the fact that the area around Bogalusa has a very high sulfur content in the water. Did you smell it when you took a shower? It is quite unpleasant, but my brother (near Hammond) is used to it.
By the way, there is an article in the Boy Scout magazine this month about a troop from North Carolina that trekked across the country in 9 weeks. They went through the nation's midsection. Pretty neat for a bunch of youngsters, eh? But I'm sure they had SAG wagons--the article does not say.
- Kirk
Post a Comment
<< Home